Onam’s Special Recipe 3 - Paruppu Pradhaman
35 Mins & for 2 People
- ½ cup Chana dal
- ½ cup powdered jaggery
- ½ cup thick coconut milk
- 2 teaspoon milk
- 7 cashews broken
- A small pinch of dry ginger powder
- 2 teaspoon ghee
- Soak jaggery in warm water (till immersing level), crush it well.
- Then heat it up until it is slightly thick (no string consistency needs to be checked). It should be of idly batter consistency. Strain and keep aside.
- Dry roast chana dal until it turns golden brown.
- In a pressure cooker add chana dal with water till immersing level and pressure cook for 3-4 whistles, don't make it too mushy, Set aside.
- Heat ghee in a pan add cashews and fry till golden brown, set aside.
- Heat jaggery syrup for 2mins until it starts thickening (no need to check for any consistency) add chana dal at this stage.
- Mash it up with a ladle. Once jaggery syrup is well combined with the dal, add coconut milk.
- Once it starts to boil, add dry ginger powder, milk and give a quick stir. Switch off and add ghee fried cashews.
- Serve paruppu pradhaman hot / cold as per your preference.
- Don't boil for more time after coconut milk is added else it will start to curdle.
- Adjust jaggery as per your sweet level, we liked ours a bit sweeter.
- After you add dhal to jaggery syrup do the whole process in low flame and keep stirring.
- As with any payasam it thickens with time so switch off a bit runny.
- Adding dry ginger powder gives a great flavour.
You can buy the all ingredients at FROMINDIA