Maintain Brass, Bronze and Copper Utensils for Impeccable Shine and Health Benefits.
We live in times when modernisation and development has affected our food habits and in turn has affected our health adversely. The use of plastic in heating, storing and serving has contributed to the increase in life-threatening diseases like cancer, heart strokes, hypertension and diabetes.
Healthier options for utensils are brass, bronze and copper as they have various health benefits and beneficial properties. These traditional articles are a delight to own. They have their own methods when it comes to using, maintaining, and preserving them. Here are some of our suggestions and tips for a long-lasting relationship with traditional South Indian Utensils.
How to clean and maintain copper?
Copper utensils can stain and darken over time. It is necessary to clean and polish them often to maintain their shine. Here are some of the easy tips to maintain copper vessels.
- Always wash and dry the copper vessels after use.
- Wash copper vessels with a DIY cocktail of pitambari, salt, tamarind, and ash.
- You can also use lemon, vinegar, ketchup,or baking soda to remove tarnish and bring back its lustre.
- Don’t overheat copper vessels, they are malleable, and they have the tendency to stick to the bottom.
- Never use harsh chemicals to clean copper vessels, you can use TMM brass and dishwash cleaner to remove stains.
- Never soak copper vessels in the water for a long period of time as they can form rust.
How to clean and maintain bronze?
Bronze is an alloy of copper. When they are exposed to air and moisture, it will develop a layer of greenish build-up on their surface called patina. We have a few DIY methods to clean and maintain your bronze pieces.
- Rinse your bronze items in warm water and leave them dry.
- To polish your bronze pieces, use 2 tablespoons of baking soda and lemon juice to make a paste. Rub this paste using a small soft cloth until you acquire the desired shine.
- If you do not have baking soda at home try a mix of vinegar, four, and salt and rub till you find the shine satisfactory.
- Always use a soft cloth to polish your bronze. Using steel wool or abrasive cloth can cause scratches on the surface.
How to clean and maintain brass?
Brass utensils bring a warm glow to your kitchen. They are corrosion resistant and tend to tarnish and become dull over time. Cleaning and polishing brass items is not difficult and you can do it with ingredients that are found in your home.
- If you are using kitchen utensils, use a sponge and a light liquid dishwashing soap, if you are cleaning lamps using a small toothbrush to remove dirt from the crevices.
- Polishing brass is also an easy task, you can use the same methods used for copper and bronze to bring back life into the traditional pieces.
You can use our TMM Copper and Brass Dishwash Cleaner to remove tarnish, oxidation, and fire scale. Maintain your favourite Indian kitchen and prayer articles using the suggested methods. Check out our products to add more to your traditional Homeware.