Natural Sugars - For a normal and healthy life.
Karuppatti or Palm Jaggery
Natural sugars such as Karuppatti, Palm Jaggery or Pana Vellam is popular all over India and used as a natural sweetener. Shaped in a block form or a half sphere these natural sugars are extracted from the sap of a palm tree or the date palm. The sweeteners are used to make candies and other sweet treats.
Benefits of consuming Karupatti are
- It is enriched with natural elements like iron, magnesium and potassium which are important for the bone and digestive system. iron and some essential nutrients such as magnesium and potassium which is vital for bone and digestive health.
- It has more nutritional value than sugar.
- It is rich in vitamin B complex, calcium and is also a source of ascorbic acid.
- It is unrefined and does not contain any synthetic additives and preservatives.
Another natural sugar popular in India is the palm sugar which is made from the sap in the flower buds of the coconut palm tree. It is a natural sugar because it isn’t processed, and no chemicals are used. The sap is boiled until a thick syrup is formed. This is then made into block, granular or liquid forms.
Benefits of palm sugar are
- Palm sugar is unrefined and is known to be rich in vitamins and minerals.
- It contains potassium, phosphorus, zinc, iron, manganese and copper; small amounts of phytonutrients such as polyphenols, flavonoids and anthocyanidin; and antioxidants which are all vital for normal and healthy functioning of the body.
- It has a low glycemic index which helps in slower absorption of food, preventing the spike in insulin level.
Cane sugar is extracted from sugar cane which is a plant that has high sugar content. The cane is processed and filtered and finally used in beverages and desserts. Cane sugar is processed using bone char which is made by charring the bones of animals. The bone char helps bleach and filter white sugar.
Benefits of Cane Sugar are:
- It is high in polyphenols which are powerful phytonutrients with qualities of antioxidants.
- It is loaded with vitamins and minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, manganese iron and essential amino acids that help burn fat and build muscle.
- It is alkaline and most diseases cannot live in an alkaline environment, sugar cane juice is healing to the body.
- It lowers cholesterol–both LDL and triglycerides.