Thulasimadam - Refresh your Spirit and Invigorate your Body
Herbs occupy a special place in the Indian household. The holy basil or Tulsi is grown for both its spiritual and health benefits.
The Tulsi plant is planted in mud within a cuboid brick or cement structure, called the Thulasimadam. The women of the family care for the plant every day. Every morning, the women draw kolams at the base of the madam, place flowers and chant mantras as they walk around it. A lamp is lit at the base of the madam or in a small recess on the side of the structure, that faces east.
The Tulsi plant not only has spiritual significance but health benefits too.
- Keeps away mosquitoes and other insects.
- Absorbs harmful gases and releases oxygen.
- Refreshes and invigorates the body especially when inhaled in the morning.
- Fights off symptoms of common cold.
- Purifies the blood and controls cholesterol.
- Prevents the formation of Kidney stones.
- Helps clear the aura surrounding the home.
Refresh your home and awaken your spirit with a Thulasimadam at your home.