Onam’s Special Recipe 2- Kaya Mezhukkupuratti
30 Mins & for 2 People
- 1 small sized raw banana
- 4 small onions
- 2 cloves garlic pearls finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- ½ teaspoon of garam masala powder
- A pinch of turmeric powder
- salt to taste
- Rinse raw banana, trim the edges and peel of the skin and cut them into thin strips. Keep immersed in water else it will get dark. In a pan cook raw banana along with water, salt and turmeric powder, cook until soft but not mushy, Set aside. In a pan heat oil – add mustard seeds and curry leaves, let it splutter.
- Then add chopped garlic and sauté till slightly browned then add onion and sauté till transparent. Add required salt, red chilli powder and garam masala powder, fry well till the raw smell of the spice powders leave.
- Sprinkle little water and add cooked raw banana, toss it over. Serve hot / warm with rice and dal or with any variety rice.
- Don’t add more water while cooking raw banana, cook till just done not too mushy.
- Tempering with coconut oil is must for this recipe.
- Don’t cook for more time after raw banana is added, just toss around that’s enough.
- The final dish should be slightly moist and not too dry.
You can buy the all ingredients at FROMINDIA